This web site is enormous! Use the box to the right to search the whole site for what you are looking for.
The Parish Church of Ruislip
All Photographs taken by, and
St. Martin's Church is the parish
church of Ruislip and has almost certainly stood on the site since before 1086.
The present building largely dates from the mid-13th century with the chancel
and aisles being rebuilt in the 15th century. There was a substantial
restoration in 1869-70 by Sir Gilbert Scott. It is built of flint rubble while
the windows, parapets and corners are of soft limestone from Tottenhoe and
Reigate and the roof is covered
with tiles and lead.
The wall paintings inside date from the 15th century and were discovered in the mid 19th century. Many of the memorials are to the Hawtrey family and their descendants the Deanes, who lived at nearby Eastcote House. The bread cupboard commemorates a charity founded by Jeremiah Bright son of Thomas Bright who was vicar from 1662-1674.The stain glass is mainly Victorian. (Words by Susan Toms)
Church Web Site