[ Back to Photo Gallery List ]
The Alms Cottages were converted in 1616-17 from a house that was built in 1570. They were created as homes
for the poor. The cottages were collectively known as the 'Church House'.
Originally there were ten back-to-back cottages, each having one room upstairs and one room downstairs.
During this century, the properties were used by the church. However in the 1970s, the buildings were threatened with demolition. Thankfully this did not occur and the properties were restored.
The Harding Housing Association now manages the remaining four flats and one maisonette.
They are located on the edge of the grounds of St Martin's Church.
[ Back to Photo Gallery List | Back to Home Page ]